Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ravelymipcs

Well it is time again for the Olympics. Many of you may know what this means for us fiber lover, that we get to compete along with the Olympians in our own Fiber related "Ravelympics".  There are many teams competing and oh so many choices of events.  The Revelympics takes place over at Ravelry.

I'm in two teams, the first one is Team Owww! The team comprises members of Ravelry groups Chronic Bitches & Fiber Artists With Connective Tissue & Autoimmune Conditions. These are a wonderful group of people.  All of us have some sort of disability or ailment that causes us lots of pain.  They are a great support group, understanding and helpful not just about what we all are physically going through but with our crafting, just a great group of people all around. 

The other group I'm in is Team Master Seekers.  The members belong to The Knitting Guild Association  TKGA and are working on either the Basics, Basics, Basics class or going for the title of Master Knitter. The Master Knitter program is a really great one run from TKGA and it is one that I'm hoping to go through.  I personally am in the Basics class, which I thought would be a really good starting point. If your interested in knowing more about either classes go to http://www.tkga.com/education.shtm for more information.  There are three lessons to the Basics class and I'm on lesson two which I'm using for one of my ravelympic events.

I've finished my first project for the Ravelympics, it is a scarf that I'm submitting with Team Owww! I've made a scarf learning a new technique. I had seen a pretty scarf while browsing Ravelry called Spiral Fantastico by Nangellini. The creator of the scarf is a yarn shop owner and designer.  I had sent her a message asking if she would mind telling me how to make the scarf.  She is really nice and very generous.  She answered the same day with surprisingly simple instructions.

Mostly it is a plain yarn first, chain about 80 or 100, then 4 dc in each chain. With the novelty yarns you do one more row with sc, chain3, sc in next st. Or you can edge it with 2sc in each st. Really you can do anything with the edging and it looks good! Play around and see what you come up with.
Good luck!

I asked her if she minded me sharing her pattern as long as I gave her credit.  She said yes and if I could share the link to her store and the patterns she sells that would be wonderful, so here it is:  Nangellini

Here is my finished scarf!

I played around a bit with the directions and my scarf was made with this pattern:

1 skein of Bulky yarn. (I used recycled wool from a thrift store sweater)
4 skeins of Eyelash yarn in any colors
I used 2 skeins Bernet Disco and 2 skeins Knitting Fever's Orlando
(I needed 2 skeins of each type for completed scarf)
size I crochet hook (gauge not necessary, thou I crocheted loosely on row 3

With 1 strand of a plain Bulky yarn 
Chain 100
Row 1:  1 dc in each chain
Row 2:  4 dc in each dc
The next section is worked with 2 strands of eyelash yarn held together. (I used 2 different brands of eyelash yarn in complementary colors.
Row 3:  hdc in first dc, *chain 3, hdc in next dc* repeat to end of scarf.

1 comment:

  1. Nice scarf :o) A great idea to use up some of my novelty yarns that are sitting on the back of the cupboard. Carolinej (Blogger will only let me sign in as Tiddy and Charlie..sorry!)

    ReplyDelete